Looking for a travel insurance valid for your Russia visa application in 2024 ? You’re at the right place ! I’ve contacted (or at least tried to …) DOZENS of travel insurance companies to see who’s still covering for Russia and who’s not.
While some were travel agencies who refused to give me the name of the actual insurance company they’re working with, many did not even get back to me. High level of professionalism out there …
I eventually found one who delivers travel insurance to us, foreigners, that can be purchased online with a foreign Visa/Mastercard bank card and most importantly an insurance valid for a russian visa or evisa application. So keep reading, I’m telling you all about it !
The best Russia travel insurance
The best Russia travel insurance in 2024 is Attollo Assistance. Based in Latvia, it’s the european branch of Ingosstrakh Insurance Company, one of the main insurance companies in Russia.
Nationals of 31 countries can buy their insurance policy including most citizens of the European Union, Switzerland, the UK, Canada and USA. Full list here :
• Czech Republic
The Attollo Assistance insurance includes :
Here is an example of an insurance policy certificate in both english and russian :
How to buy an Attollo Assistance insurance policy ?
Easy enough :
– Fill up the dates of your travel to Russia (that is, most visas require a travel insurance covering the duration of the said visa and not just your dates of travels to Russia. E.g. If you stay 25 days out of your 30 days tourist visa you must get a 30 days travel insurance – check the requirements) and your age (or the age you will have when travelling) – You can add up to 5 people, that includes your children if it’s a family trip.
– It will give you the price. You can select the “sport activities” option if for example you go skying in Sochi and you’re likely to break a leg.
– Fill up the datas for each traveler (add all your names like you would on a visa application)
– Fill up the datas of the buyer : you or the person who pays for you, like a parent.
– Click on “Buy a policy” and you will receive an email with a link to the invoice and a secure link to make the payment.
– Once the payment has been made you will be able to download (and print if you wish) your insurance policy certificate (example shown above).
Note : the payment goes through Attollo Assistance’s partner based in the UAE, that’s why it’s possible to pay with a foreign Visa/Mastercard bank card.
How much does it cost ?
Here is a price example for me, a 30 years old french citizen for 16 days (the e-visa duration) = about 25€
Those who do no cover anymore and other crappy ones …
If you’re interested, here is a list of reknown travel insurances that do not cover for Russia (nor Belarus) anymore and those I would not recommend.
❌ Safety wings, Insure my trip, Globelink, Insured nomads, Allianz travel insurance, AXA, Europ assistance, Avi-international, Visitors coverage, World nomads, April international … And most probably many more that I do not know of.
And here are those I’ve tried to contact with no luck (meaning if you’re laying in a russian hospital bed, better not count on them) :
⚠️ Visa House travel agency working with Zetta russian insurance (2 emails, no answers); Goingrus travel agency, I couldn’t find which insurance company they are working with (2 emails, no answers); Visa to rus (not Visa to Russ) travel agency, I couldn’t find which insurance company they are working with (I messaged them on Telegram, no answer); Fortuna Travel (AKA Visa to Russ) travel agency, I couldn’t find which insurance company they are working with (no answer), Visa Russie travel agency, refused to tell me which insurance company they work with …
All of those seem very unrelieable to me. It sounds like they sell insurance policy numbers so one can fill up the blank on the visa application form, but that’s about it.
Worth mentionning : the Alfa insurance, AKA Alfa Strakhovanie got back to me on Telegram and one european reader of the blog reported buying an insurance from them but struggled a bit with the payment.
Let me know in the comments if this post has been helpful !
Enjoy what you read and learn? Think about buying me a chai to support the blog !